Today is the final post for the series: 5 Simple Tough Mudder Training Tips. You can read all the articles here. Tip #5 is this: Join a Team.
Day 5: Join a Team
The benefits to joining a team are countless. I would like to cover the five greatest benefits I have experienced due to joining Team Uppercut.
5 Benefits to Joining a Team
- Synergy – the interaction of elements that when combined produce a total effect that is greater than the sum of the individual elements. Simply put, when you train with a team you will work harder and you will be better. You are tapping into the energy of a group’s combined effort. At some point during your training there is always someone better than you and always someone worse than you. Within a team you will have endless opportunities to strive to be better or to encourage someone to keep pushing on.
- Competition – rivalry for supremacy. Friendly competition is one of the greatest motivating factors to push team members to achieve. Even our not so redeemed qualities like pride will motivate us to work hard during a team workout. Everyone wants to have bragging rights for a day or two. Challenge a team member to see who can lift more, run faster, jump higher or father and watch your team excel to greater heights.
- Accountability – responsible to someone for some action; answerable. It is hard to skip a work out when your team members run to your house and stand in your yard until you come out and play. It is hard to sit on the couch when you receive multiple texts from teammates about the upcoming work out. Having “the boys” to answer to is a great way to stay motivated when it comes to physical, spiritual and mental toughness.
- Encouragement – to inspire with courage, spirit, or confidence. Having a group of men who believe you can accomplish your goals is powerful! Joining a team gives you the opportunity to use your courage to inspire your friends. It gives you the opportunity to build the confidence of your team members along with yourself. There is no other force more powerful than an encouraging group of men who have your back in any situation.
- Camaraderie – comradeship; good-fellowship. One of the great tragedies in life is a man with no friends. The Bibles says, “…a real friend sticks closer than a brother.” -Proverbs 18:24. The brotherhood I have experienced since joining Team Uppercut has change the way I look at friendship. I realized that the lack of camaraderie amongst men is slowly destroying men physically, mentally and spiritually. God created men to bond and to share life experiences together. Joining a team will create an atmosphere of camaraderie that you have possibly never experienced before. Don’t do life alone. Join a team and throw life a knockout punch.
I know that Team Uppercut will complete the Tough Mudder Race successfully. How do I know? Because we are a team. Because we will not finish until we all have finished. I know this because I have seen it happen every week at every work out. The one who is leading the pack always circles around to support and encourage the one who is trailing. Because Team Uppercut is not about an individual but about the combined effort of many individuals working toward one goal.